Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Technical problems

Do you ever think that you have a cursed touch--that everything you touch breaks or malfunctions in some way? Well, I have this problem with computers. I've never owned a computer that has worked right.

It started when Ben was in school, we bought a computer, and right out of the box it wouldn't work. Something about the motherboard not interfacing with the something or other.

Next, we bought another one that broke down so the disc drive didn't work.

Then, we thought we'd go with a laptop--a Gateway. Nothing we downloaded to it worked--games and instant messengers, for instance. And, it will turn off at any given time with no warning.

So, we decided we'd get a new laptop (a Dell with Windows Vista--grrr), and that computer freezes up. It stays on, but it freezes, so you have to turn it off and re-boot it.

Well, on Monday, as I was downloading a recommended update (sound familiar, Kristin?) the dumb thing froze. Now it won't start at all. It attempts a repair, but never goes anywhere.

Needless to say, I know that when it comes to computers, I am cursed. It is not possible for me to own a computer that works right.

Which leads me to put in a plug for shutterfly.com. This is a website where you can upload all your pictures. You can share them with others. You can order prints. You can make all sorts of neat things--like Christmas cards. And it's free--except for the print ordering. But they give you 50 free prints for signing up. It's awesome. I'm not so worried that my computer is crashed now, because I had already put all (or nearly all) my pictures from that computer onto my shutterfly account. Now, whenever I put my memory card from my camera into my computer, I always upload my pictures, so they're stored somewhere besides my computer(s) which are bound to break down sooner or later. Sooner, if you're me.

8 comments:

Figgy and The Professor said...

*raises hand*

You are so not alone! I can't tell you the number of desktops and laptops we've been through. Everyone keeps screaming at me to get a Mac, so as to avoid any issues with the normal computer stuff. Hmmmm...think I've listened? :)

Ian and Kristin said...

Agh! That does sound all too familiar! Computers suck! Good luck with it all! I think I might sign up for shutterfly too. It's a cool idea.

Janette said...

We've thought about a Mac, too, but the newest one is less than a year old, so I can't bring myself to buy another one just yet.

Soda Springs Idaho Home For Sale said...

Thats why we won't even buy a computer...we're lucky to have Mike's work laptop. Mike's laptop is a Panasonic Toughbook, and seems to be pretty reliable...knock on wood.

lindsey v said...

Yeah, I'm so scared of ruining computers. I just know nothing about them. Whenever mine freezes or something I think there's probably a really easy solution but since I don't know enough about them it feels like a huge problem.

That's a good idea to put your photos on a website like that.

Anonymous said...

The secret must be then to have someone else purchase the computer for you.

Randy said...

It might be the super scary ID 10 T error that keeps coming around. I have some experience with it. If you need more info you can just ask.

nea said...

Yeah, I've lost a few files because of "computer meltdown!" It's frustrating! I lost 1/2 of my master's project and had to redo it! (that was really, really fun.) So, I understand your discontent! I also love shutterfly and snapfish. It's so much easier and faster (however, more expensive) to make a digital scrapbook with them! I like what you have said about enjoying the time we have now. It does go by quickly! Where did you find your cute background for your blog?