Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Quilt

My grandmother on my mom's side was a master quilter. On her granddaughter's 16th birthdays she would make them a beautiful quilt. Unfortunately, she passed away 2 weeks after my mom was married. And, then my mom went on to have 5 daughters! So, we didn't get quilts made specially for us. A few years ago, though, my mom got 5 quilts her mother had made, and we each got one for Christmas. My youngest sister got this coveted quilt. It is my favorite. The pattern is called The Drunkard's Path (for obvious reasons), and it was made out of the red fabric scraps that my mom's pep club dress was made out of in the 1950's. Isn't it stunning?
Just had to share.

6 comments:

Clayton & Kayley Anderson said...

It's beautiful! We have a bunch of blankets that Grandma McEntire made, she was very talented. Sadly, most of them are so old that they are falling apart and can't be used anymore.

It all began here said...

J- when I first pulled up your blog,I thought you were going to say this was the newest quilt you made! I love this, the color, the pattern etc. Someday maybe I could figure out how to do something this beautiful!

Kristanne said...

That is a beautiful quilt. My grandma too was a talented quilter. She passed away when I was young so like you although the others god quilts when they got engaged, I didn't. When Cade's grandma made him a baby quilt I never used it. I put it away to make sure he had it as an heirloom.!

Jill said...

Wow, that is really cool to have a quilt and a history to go with it. Very neat!

Anonymous said...

That is gorgeous. Nice work great-grandma. I like the drunkard's path pattern. Oh your right, it could have been worse for me, I told the dentist he was lucky that I didn't pee my pants.

admin. said...

Love this quilt. If I were you I would work out a deal, free babysitting, ect... of course I havent seen yours yet. What does it look like.