It's been a long time since I've read a really good book--the kind of book that keeps you thinking for days or weeks after you've finished it. The Kite Runner was such a book for me, as was A Thousand Splendid Suns, by the same author. The Good Earth and Uncle Tom's Cabin are a couple others that come to mind. Recently I've re-read several books that I've enjoyed in the past, and I'm always reading (or re-reading) books with my older kids.
But, I just finished The Book Thief by Markus Zusak, and that book has been on my mind for days. For anyone who has not read it (you should, it's great), it is about a young foster girl living in a village outside of Munich, Germany during WWII. I've though a lot about the courage of people who survived WWII--the Allies who fought, the Germans who resisted the Nazis, and especially the Jews. I wonder if I would have had the courage to stand up for my beliefs in the face of so much danger and uncertainty. I can't even imagine the hardships people went through during WWII. This book has given me a renewed sense of appreciation for all those who fought for the freedoms of others.
If you feel so inclined, post a comment about your favorite book. I'm always looking for great books to read.
10 comments:
"The Good Earth" is one that I really love too. And I can read "To Kill A Mockingbird" over and over. One that I just recently read that I LOVED was "These Is My Words". It is amazing! It's about a girl/woman during the Arizona territory time. You should definitely read it.
I really want to try "The Book Theif". I love WWII books and history.
Sorry, I spelled thief wrong.
I love "To Kill a Mockingbird"--one of my all-time favorites. I also read "These is my words" and another novel by the same author. I loved both of them.
I also wanted to add, along the lines of civil rights, "Roll of Thunder, Hear my Cry" is a great book, too. (Currently re-reading that with my 11-year-olds.)
I recently read Wet Desert. I thought about it for a long time. I couldn't wait for Daren to finish so we could talk about it. I can get you a copy from my daughter who works with the author. It's definately worth the $15. I also read a book about WWII recently that keeps me thinking. It was kind of depressing. Happy reading
I love WWII books! Did you read Children of the Promise? The first one is a slow start but I couldn't put it down after it got going. One of those where you know what's going to happen, but have to read anyway just to make sure. So fun.
I really admired the Jews for their fire and spirit. I got into a discussion with some people who tried to tell me they were a bunch of push-overs. If you've read Elie Wiesel's book: The Night, you know that it's not true. It's a first hand account of what happened in a Jewish prison camp. We had to read that freshman year for English and it was such a good book. Sorry about the long comment!
I really liked "the kite runner" as well. I thought it was well written- (it didn't drag on) and gave great insight about the turmoils the Afghan people survived. It's interesting, I went to BYU Jerusalem and we visited Ben Gurion's home (Leader of the Jewish Zionist Movement). We learned one side of the story. It was interesting and enlightening to hear about the other side (Muslim)through this book. However, I couldn't finish "thousand splendid suns" I was too depressed about the Afghan people. But maybe now I could read it. I recently read a good article in TIME about Afghanistan's infrastructure (lack thereof). The locals got so tired of the corrupt government's empty promises of building a school for their children, so they took initiative and built it themselves!!! It also said that their teachers only have the equivalent education of one year higher than that grade they are teaching i.e. a 2nd grade teacher has a 3rd grade level education. Isn't that sad? We have so much here we take for granted! (sorry for the long winded comment- Egan is out of town for the week, and I'm extremely bored at nights! I need a good book to read- thanks for the suggestions!!!)
Well I posted my list on the book club site - Some other books that I love - I really do like Orson Scott Card - most all of his books have such great insight into people and their motives - so practically anything by him. Wet Desert was also great that Margie suggested. On a Spiritual note "all these things shall be for thy good" by Neil A Maxwell has to be my favorite church book ever. I love his metaphors and his expressions and how he says things so well, and how they all apply to my life. On the kid scene The latest Eragon book "brisngr" just came out and was great. Also the Wizard Heir trilogy. In classics - I love Oliver Twist - I love the fact that even bad people have their good sides and good people have their bad. It is so true to human nature and yet the over ll innocence that he never seems to lose and the over all idea that good wins out in the end makes it a favorite. Two I am going to read soon are The Shack and Edgar Satelwaite which are both on the national best seller lists. And again "Molakai" was really good.
I have to say the best thing I like about books, is escapism. Sometimes I just need to be someone else or see someone elses life besides my own, and books allow that. It helps when they have a good message and make one think, and feel good. I did like the kite flyer and it made me think - but I came away feeling so sad from it and so depressed that I couldn't bring myself to read a thousand splendid sons. Though it was written well, and fast paced and so thoughtful. I just couldn't handle the emotional baggage it left me with.
I havent been one for History ( I guess I havent tried) I go more for the scarey Mary Higgins clark "Moon light becomes you" YUM love it. and I like Daniel Steele as well.
Wow, you are an amazing book reader. Let me tell you about my favorite book right now. It's called Pathophysiology! You should give it a whirl. It weighs about 15 pounds and is very interesting.
Post a Comment