So, lately I've been thinking about anonymity on the net, and about going private, and about posting pictures of my children and their names, etc. You know, it is kind of weird that here I am, keeping a journal where everyone and anyone can read it. And posting pictures that anyone can copy. But, I really love being able to share things online like this--and I love reading others' blogs, too. In the beginning I was careful about not using my children's names, and I still wonder how harmful it is. I mean, even though just about everyone reading this knows my last name, I don't post that for every Joe to know. And I don't post my street address. I don't think I've even really posted the city I live in, though the state might be kind of obvious. I think for the most part, people visiting here are doing so for benign reasons, but you never really know for sure, right? Anyway, I guess my point in all these rambling, paranoid thoughts is that I'm not going to use my kids names (or family members, too, since they might not want their names used). I'm not so paranoid that I'm going to blur the names on my kids' birthday cakes or go private (yet), but I am going to edit some past posts. And, if you want to know the nicknames I'll use for the kids, take a look in the previous post of their school pictures.
Going to put on my tin-foil cap now....
7 comments:
I put my kids names on my blog for about 2 hours and then my father-in-law told me he just saw a report that people were stealing kids identities from family blogs, and racking up tons of debt. So I went to his computer and changed all the names. People are sick and will do anything. I just saw a scam on tv having to do with Craigs list, and people renting out houses. Super EVIL!!!
Have you ever gotten a comment from someone you don't know? It's kind of creepy, huh? I wonder if I should go by Kay on my blog instead. hmm...
Your blog is totally cute by the way!
I think I was super worried at first and I am getting less and less worried now. You have that live feed thing, huh. I think that would make me scared so I don't dare use it on mine. I guess I just don't want to know who's on my blog that I don't know. I'll just pretend that the only people on it are the ones I know.
But I am really careful not to put my last name or my city.
When we decided to set up a blog we decided to go private. That way we control who reads it, and not have the worry about all of the crazies or lurkers. There are some negatives about going private, but for me it was worth it. The main reason we went private is once something is put online it is out there forever. Meaning you may be able to pull it off of your blog whenever, but you never know who might have downloaded it while it was there. I may be a little paranoid, but I would rather err on the side of caution.
I think I am the one with the tin-foil cap...
I've thought the same thing. But I kind of want to pretend that all is well. You know what I mean. btw, i stalk your blog, love reading it.
Yes, put on the tin-foil cap, quickly. They are coming. J/K. I've had the same thoughts, haven't gone private, but have taken all the other precautions.
Post a Comment