Today I was craving soup. Don't ask me why on a hot, August day I would want a big, hot bowl of soup. It puzzles me, too. So, I pulled out one of my favorite recipes, that I got from a dear friend. It's called Mexican Minestrone--a very easy crock-pot recipe. (Or crotch-pot, if you're Stephanie's husband. ;) For those who might want to try it, here it is:
Mexican Minestrone Soup:
1 can of drained corn
1 can of Mexican stewed tomatoes
1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
1 C of salsa (more or less, to taste)
1 can of chicken breast
2 cups water
2 chicken bullion cubes
3-4 potatoes, peeled and diced
Combine everything in a crock-pot and cook on high for 3-4 hours, or till potatoes are tender. You can also add chopped cilantro after it is done cooking (which I did tonight, to rave reviews). Serve with tortilla chips, sour cream, and shredded cheese.
Not all my kids will eat this soup. I think I must have some of the pickiest eaters on the face of the planet. But it really is a very good soup, makes great left-overs, and is easy.
(I realize I should probably explain the crotch-pot comment above. My brother-in-law thought that crock-pots were "crotch-pots" for years. He only recently, within the last couple of years, realized that they are croCK-pots. Yeah, now no one in my family can say crock-pot with a straight face.)
2 comments:
Thats sounds so yummy...I'm going to try it.
Love the crotch pot.
Post a Comment