One of my favorite pics, taken as we were hurrying toward the exit (or way out, as it says).
On our second day in London, we took the Tube to Kensington. Speaking of the Tube, we had a rather impressive experience, if you ask me. We didn't get on the wrong train once. We never missed a stop, and we always got to where we needed to be, and on time, too. Not every ride was pleasant--especially if we ended up in one of those tunnels or trains at rush hour...but all in all, it was a very nice public transportation system and sure beats trying to drive!
The Sunken Gardens at Kensington
Another view of the garden. We weren't able to go into it.
Ballerinas with the Orangery in the background.
In front of the Sunken Gardens
Queen Victoria's statue in front of Kensington Palace
View from the south (I think).
Inside the palace, there was a display of dresses that Princess Diana wore. I loved seeing the designs firsthand. Amazing!
I love the simpleness of this design.
Staircase in the King's Apartments
A tapestry
An intricately painted ceiling. I swear, there are probably thousands of pictures of me on security cameras all over London staring at ceilings with my mouth open. They were simply exquisite.
A clock and fireplace in Kensington Palace.
Some of the artwork displayed at Kensington.
An ermine robe. I can't remember when this dates back to, but have I mentioned I love old clothing and textiles? I was in heaven!
A hall and lots of art (including on the ceiling).
More old clothing. The embroidery was amazing!
An example of one of the odder silhouettes of fashion history...this dress shape is called panier. It is very wide at the hips (made so with structural undergarments called paniers) and very narrow front-to-back. Going through doorways front-ways was a challenge, I would imagine...not to mention sitting.
Detail of the embroidery and how the bodice fits onto the skirt.
I can't imagine wearing the shoes that people wore in the 1700s.
You can see the narrowness front-to-back here. The back of the dress is amazing. Look at the cuffs and ruffs coming off the elbow of the sleeve. The lacy cuffs were removable so they could be worn with different dresses.
They had reproductions of servant's clothing that you could try on. Naturally, when given a chance to dress up in dodgy clothing that hundreds of sweaty tourists have already tried on, I give it a go. I didn't travel 7000 miles to just look at them on the hangers!
This is a black gown that Victoria wore when meeting with her cabinet after becoming queen (I think). I imagine the silk has faded to this brown shade from the original black. It was still beautiful.
Queen Victoria's wedding gown. Wow!
Detail of the wedding dress.
Prince Albert's wedding clothing.
Mural on one of the walls, showing pictures of Queen Victoria, Prince Albert and their nine children. Yes, nine children. Following the vine around, they are: Princess Victoria, Prince Albert Edward, Princess Alice, Prince Alfred, Princess Helena, Princess Louise, Prince Arthur, Prince Leopold, and Princess Beatrice.
Some shoes. Again, can you imagine walking around in these all day?
If, by chance, you have not seen the movie The Young Victoria...repent and see it right away. These pics will probably be more interesting after seeing it and it is just a great history on Queen Victoria, and the love of her life, Prince Albert. Such a sweet love story.
No comments:
Post a Comment