Sunday, June 7, 2009

This past Thursday, Buddy found a bird who he lovingly rescued from the neighbor's dog. The kids were so excited to take care of this new "pet", and put it in the cat's kennel to try to nurse it to health. We got some birdseed that we sprinkled in with him and game him a small bowl of water. Buddy wanted it to stay in his room with him that night, but we convinced him that it would keep him up or wake him early, and that he would be better off in the garage.

The next morning, as I was trying to give it some water, it opened its mouth like a baby awaiting food. We were able to drop a few seeds into its mouth and gave it water dropped from a syringe. Yesterday it chirped and chirped at us and was so cute. The kids adored it and loved taking care of it. But, we just couldn't replace the mommy bird, and this morning it passed on. Buddy and Missy are absolutely heartbroken.

5 comments:

admin. said...

oh, that is so sad. are you going to have a funeral?

Kristanne said...

we tried to nurse some that the momma had abandoned in our grill, but it didn't go well. They all died. It is so hard on the kids when that happens. This was a few years ago.

Ian and Kristin said...

Oh, that's too bad! Sorry to hear that!

Rena said...

awww. It's a great lesson for the kids to go through the mounring period of death. sounds awful, but it is a good thing. It is always so hard to see a pet die. My cat tagen died and I was devastated. I was even more sad when I walked outside and saw dad putting him in the garbage can.

Donna said...

Call me the next time you need to rescue a baby bird. I helped with this when I worked at the Nature Center. Ironically, we fed them cat food soaked in water. In order to release them you need to give them as little human contact as possible as you care for them. The percentages aren't great but we did have some success.