Sunday, July 17, 2016

Star of Wonder

Several months ago, I found a quilt kit for this beautiful quilt--the Star of Wonder. I was in love with the fabrics and the pattern. But the kit was out of stock. So I had to find the fabric and pattern from several different places, but I love how it came together!
Nearly all pieced together

Coming together
Top finished and laid out on my dining room table, which wasn't nearly wide enough to show the whole thing.
 I decided I wanted to have someone professional machine-quilt this for me. It turned out to be a twin-size quilt, and I wasn't comfortable with my quilting skills on my home machine. I am still a learner/beginner on it, and I didn't want to attempt this large of a quilt quite yet. I had the quilting done by a very talented long-armer who does all her work free-style (it's not a set pattern that you would set the machine to do on it's own).
Home from the long-armer, not yet trimmed.

Detail of the all-over flower pattern she quilted.

Detal showing the quilting on the back.

Bound and finished and so, so pretty!

Detail in the sunshine

I am so pleased with how it turned out!
I'm excited to enter this quilt into the county and state fair. I usually wash all my quilts when they're done, because I love the crinkly nature of quilts after they've been laundered. I am keeping this one all starched and crisp until after the fairs, though! I had to hang it up where I could admire it and where a cat wouldn't sleep all over it. (For some reason, one of my cats has decided that every quilt--whether completed or not--is for him to bed down on/in.)
Fabric is Ambleside by Brenda Riddle for Moda Fabrics.
My long-arming was done at The Quilting Mill

No comments: